The Moore Hotel
As early as 1840, a small community had begun to form around a grist mill. Settlers came from the North, railroad tracks were laid and by 1881, a new town was incorporated.
[Guests gather outside the hotel c. early 1900’s- Photo Courtesy and Property of the State Archive of Florida]
The following year, W.S. Moore purchased this building and opened a hotel which catered to wealthy Northern hunters and fishermen who were attracted to the plentiful game found in the area. Moore provided dogs, wagons, supplies and guided groups through hunts himself. His wife Virginia ‘Jenny’ ran the day to day operations of the hotel and prepared food for guests. Moore’s Hotel offered the first bathtubs with running water pumped by a windmill, then heated.
[Jenny and W.S. Moore c. 1890- Photo Courtesy and Property of the State Archive of Florida]
An ad for the hotel calls it ‘The Sportsman’s Home’ and rooms were just $2/day.
The property is still owned by the Moore family.
[Alachua County, FL]