In its early development, this land was nothing more than a crossroads of piney woods and a new track of rail. By the 1890s, settlers were steadily arriving from the Carolinas and in 1897, a settlement was established here at Gretna.
(Turn of the century turpentine operation in Gretna- Photo Courtesy of the
The town was platted in 1905 and in 1908, the land for the school was deeded to the School Board by the Humphrey & Mahaffey Families. This building would serve to teach through Junior High grades until 1935.
Group of students and principal pose for a photo on the school house c. 190?
(Photo courtesy of the Florida Memory Project)
It has since been used as a clinic, community center, Shriner’s Club, and church hall.
[Gadsden County, FL c. early 1900’s]